Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Answering some Questions - Journal


Hello Lovelies,

Today, I wanted to take a moment to address two questions/comments that were directed my way. Partially because I'm still working on Chapter 19 and partially because I felt it might clear some things up for some of the newer and regular readers.

First, given the recent fiasco with the election distractions and the Chapter 18 rewrite, I've had some express surprise at my writing process. While I can only think of one comment on HERE I actually saw, I received a few others elsewhere with regards to the fact that I tend to write and post without much (if any) editing.

While I actually addressed this sometime back, I'm sure the answer to the why and how has been lost somewhere in my news feed. As it stands, the reason I write and post boils back to a very simply idea: If I hold onto a story with intent to edit each little thing, each little chapter, I'll never post any of them. Think of it like seeing the forest for the trees. The more hung up on the details you are, the less likely you will be to complete the entire story. This is the basis for why I work the way I do. In short: blog receives first drafts in favor of super carefully refined pieces.

Now, please note, this doesn't mean that the story isn't going to see an editor before publishing. In fact, I can assure you that the red-pen of death is going to bleed massive red rivers across my pages and make me question if I should even have license to own a keyboard. HOWEVER! Doing it now doesn't help. In my eyes, I'd rather have a full story with a proper arch, beginning, and ending before I start tearing at the pieces involved. Have to make sure that the overall structure will survive first. In this way, the book versus the initial chapter releases should be decently different both in appearance and design (if not some content as well).

NEXT!

I actually had a very interesting point brought up recently, albeit in a short tempered manner.

"Your story is all up. It's tension and drama and frustration and all it is is a roller coaster that keeps climbing skyward."

To be fair, I actually recognized this as I was writing it. I've learned as well that I'm not too bad at upping and maintaining tension. But, as it were, that's not necessarily the best for any given story. Of course, this depends on the story; but no matter what, simply maintaining an elevated level of tension can leave a reader breathless.

What am I going to do about it?!

Read.

Yes. Read.

Maybe even write!

As mentioned before, the story is going to go through editing before it ever sees printed page (blog posts not withholding). I'm going to read the piece as a whole, not be chapters, and really assess the feeling that it gives. I have already intended (before the commentary on my loopless coaster) to progressively add in more quiet bits (like with the meeting between A'alan't 32 and Darrian), however one of the things I've wanted to maintain in Xenophobia is that it always takes place in the meeting room. This means I will often have the option between drama of discovery and politics OR bueracracy, which is too far in the opposite direction. I can, of course, work in one offs (which is my intent), but I need to make it work rather than simply switching between slamming on the breaks and taking off again on the 'coaster'.

That said, when it's finished, it's going to be reviewed. It's going to be figured out. It's going to be fine tuned. In short, it's going to be read.

So, I hope this allays your fears (you know who you are). As I said before, it was something I've already recognized before hand and had begun to work on, however it will be worked on heaviest when the overarching story is complete.

And that is all for today, lovelies. I'm glad you took the time to join me for a little peek by the curtain, as it were. You can expect Chapter 19 by Thursday to visit just what will be happening with the Tulgucks arriving in our solar system. I do hope you'll join me then. Til then, I hope you have a wonderful day!

- RB

13 comments:

  1. If it works for you - do it.
    I do really understand the need to have a whole to work with before you start cutting and polishing though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the roller coaster one, I wish I had put it like that

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you're right about the editing. Story written first, editing second. Good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get hung up on editing. I worry so much about accuracy (in historical fiction pieces) and perfection that the writing gets lost when I try to edit as I write. I once heard another writerly blog say to NOT bother with any of it till the end. Write it out, highlight the parts that need research and save that for the end. Same for spellcheck and grammar. That's actually how I came to use Focuswriter, actually.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Robert - as EC says .. if it works for you ...then carry on - we all know our work needs some refinement before it gets to press/publishing ... good luck - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Most of what you post is dialogue, so of course there is more to add. Fleshing out the story will come in editing. I'm a bare bones writer and completely understand.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm always go go go with my writing. What works best for you is the way to go. Can be edited later.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it's a fun way to write a story. I shared one online in a similar fashion once, and it was a great experience. Still, I'm a perfectionist, so I did hold back some of it until the thing was edited to a degree.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you are doing a wonderful job, Robert. This isn't the final product and shouldn't be read as such.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've found your method and that is awesome! I jump around too much in my writing so it'd never work for me. Then again, I don't get a lot of writing done either. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wasn't worried. It's an interesting way to work, but whatever works works, right?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I say what works for you! In a way, I get what you are saying about your writing not getting posted ever if you had to fine tune it all the time. I have thousands of photos I would like to share, but editing them takes forever.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Excellent. The way to become a writer is to write! I say that when people tell me they can't do art (well, obviously I don't say write in this case... LOL). Also looks like it is a way to recognize your strengths as well as weaknesses! Keep going!

    ReplyDelete