Sunday, June 4, 2017

Making Excuses and Writing Exercises


Hello Lovelies,

I'm sorry for having been absent for the majority of the week. Every day I kept saying 'Today I'll get something out there. Today I'm going to release more 'Kappa in my Closet''. And each day, I reveal that I simply suck.

Overall, I really don't have more of an excuse other than I'm wholly unsatisfied with the content I'm producing for 'Kappa...'. Part of this has to do with my own writing comfort level. Anyone who has been around for a while knows that I tend to specialize in tension and drama and action. It's where I naturally flow to and the light hearted spirit of Kappa is giving me some trouble. I still intend to try and produce more and work through the writer's block, but for now, I've got nothing.

So, with that said, while we're talking about writer's block, I wanted to share a little find of mine that might be helpful for some of YOU.


One problem that tends to stop a lot of writers cold is inspiration. I've personally tried my hand at creating writing prompts and trying to help inspire other writers (and myself) to new creative endeavors, but unfortunately my own capabilities are limited by my own inspiration.

And that's where WritingExercises comes in.

I just found this the other day (my lovely wife thought I would enjoy it) and I have to say, I fully intend to play with this on days where I'm not sure how to move forward. The website hosts a number of random generators including plots, opening lines, character jobs and traits, exercises, scenarios, and more. Overall, it's basically a free way to get your brain buzzing, get the ball rolling, and figure out how you can move forward...even if it's just as a training exercise.

So, for all of the lovely word-smiths in the audience, I'd encourage you to give it a look. Maybe it will help you think of your next big novel or maybe it will simply inspire you for a little bit of training. Either way, I found this incredible cool and helpful and I hope it does the same for you.

I'm off to combat with my own inadequacies and likely produce something other than 'Kappa...' for the moment, but I will not let it defeat me! I hope you have a pleasant day.

- RB

22 comments:

  1. I'm sure writer's block happens to everyone that writes. While I don't write books or stories, I do post on my blog every day for the most part. I find that scheduling post ahead of time is the way to go. I have about 60 posts scheduled right now so if I have a few days where I can't think of something to write, I can relax a little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God. That's the goal. I only ever tend to get 2 - 4 ahead.

      Delete
  2. You never know where Kappa might still lead you.
    Writing exercises are something I've not tried although I'm sure they would help. Fortunately - I'm actually working on something right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fully accept that I should keep up with Kappa...I just need to brainstorm a lot harder on how to move everything forward. I'll figure it out. ;)

      That said, whacha working on?

      Delete
  3. Hi Robert - how about a lightning rod?! Writer's block is a pain ... I usually have a brain load of info - but which one to write up ... good luck - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Who knows? Maybe a good lightning bolt is all I need. :)

      Delete
  4. Good luck. I would much, much rather writers go quiet while they do their best to perfect their work than those that put something/anything out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it's only so quiet. A few days of banging my head against a wall surely bothers the neighbors. XD

      Delete
  5. I haven't had writer's block yet. Just keep on keeping on at my sea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a lot of talents but writing was never one. I wished I could write a book. But there again, I wished I could sing and play an instrument, and I can't do that either! haha....so I will stick to painting, crafting and photography! Keep on writing on for those of us that can't.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have the right attitude. Keep saying you can do it, and you will.
    I'm usually working on three or four things at a time, so if one isn't working, I go to another.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to love writing flash fic to word prompts. Not all were winners, but I produced some pretty good ones. The link you gave has even more prompts - awesome tool! Don't be to hard on yourself. While it's great to expand your abilities, you are who you are. If tension, drama, and action are your thing, do that. Tension, action, and cliffhangers are mine, but it's a lot more challenging if you're trying to write in 1000 word chapters instead of 3000 words. I have a lot of work to do before I'm any kind of a threat to Patterson or Preston & Child! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Writing is such hard work. I too like flash fiction or short pieces to get the energy back. It may not be the main project but it validates you are still a writer. Sometimes we need that :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry about the writer's block! Can see how writing out of your comfort zone could lead to that, though. (I'm the same way whenever I try to work on something that isn't comedic in some way.) This definitely doesn't mean you suck, though! I've posted comics and such in the past that I regret, so if you need to pause till you feel satisfied with what you're producing, then that's the wisest choice, IMO. Best of luck writing, regardless of what it is!

    P.S. Thanks for all the Echo Effect comments! That was a nice surprise this weekend... ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      Also, no problem. Decided to start binging the comic and I have to say that I'm loving it so far!

      Delete
  11. Writing exercises are always a huge fail for me. I prefer to twist in the wind and suffer greatly while drawing a blank as to what to put down on an empty page. Then I take hike. I've said this before, but it's the only thing that shakes my brain free and let's me write again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good luck with the writer's block. As for me, I'm just a serious procrastinator. I have a ton of ideas, but I just need to plant myself in the chair and do it. If it's not one thing, it's another, right? Who ever said writing was easy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weirdly, my 'inspired' hours are just terrible. Generally, it needs to be straight up dark in the room and somewhere between 3am and 8am. Otherwise it's just garbage. haha

      Delete
  13. I am a procrastinator too. While I am not a writer, I have so many travel posts I have planned, but that damn procrastination gets to me every time I think about editing photos or doing a little more research on the places we have visited. See, it happens to us all from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I find that when one thing isn't working, it's time to work on something else. And when I'm blocked, I write a "writer's block workshop" which is kind of like a journal. I write about the issues I'm having with what I'm writing. Sometimes just writing out what's bothering me gets me past whatever block is before me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great attitude! Just keep on keeping on!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like your wife knows just what you need. :) Awesome to have some prompts and exercises to work on when ideas aren't flowing. Thanks for sharing.
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete