Thursday, July 7, 2022

Without

Without

===

A friend asked me: 
What would you do 
if 
money was not a factor?

The question was not:
What would you do 
if
you had a lot of money?

The root of the idea was not:
A fantasy of wealth 
but rather
A fantasy of satisfaction

The idea was not:
To dream of extravagance
but rather
To dream of contentment

It made me realize:
The dreams might be the same for some
but for others
Wealth and Happiness only briefly connect

Some people believe:
Wealth is the end all to happiness
but for many
Wealth is only a means to wholeness

In considering, I realized:
While I desire wealth
it is not
for Anything but my own freedom

What I want most:
Peace, contentment, and the right to live
and not
The constant struggle to survive

If money was not a factor:
I would do many things I do now
without
the Damocles Sword above me

4 comments:

  1. Well said, you had me at money

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great, Robert. Very well-written.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peace and contentment - As someone who has worked most of my life to get by, I relate to the non struggling line. I always thought money allows one to live comfortably. Are money and happiness connected? Happiness and love cannot be bought in my opinion as there are internal and external factors in play.

    I was hoping for a story, i enjoy your writing. Summer is ending quickly. I am still on a soul searching quest.

    Peace and light.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Truth. Most of us just need security. Lots of money never made anyone truly happy.

    ReplyDelete