Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Thinking


Hello Lovelies,

So, recently I had someone point out to me something and begin a discussion about something I hadn't deeply thought about before: the overall traffic appeal of my site.

While, I certainly have never had any intent on building some 'click-bait' style website whose sole purpose is the acquisition of views and followers, there's a certain appeal to the idea of spreading to a wider audience. The discussion revolved around the idea that there might be a stronger drive to attract new followers and individuals if I opened up more on the site and provided a little bit more fun content. A few simpler posts, attractions, pictures, and such might do more to appeal to a wider audience versus my current style which is 'bludgeoning people with fiction'.

Now, my original idea with my blog revolved around the idea of having a slowly spreading site focused solely on works of fiction as a means of both increasing my own writing abilities as well as spreading the works of others. However, the discussion in question made me question if the approach is to heavy handed and unappealing.

While I've been chewing on this for the better half of a week, I realized that the question might be better suited to my current readers:

Would you find the site more overly enjoyable with the
addition of a few simpler posts and some sillier content,
outside of chapters, excerpts, and short stories?

I'm honestly torn on the idea. Overall, I feel like I could more easily post content with better consistency if I wasn't holding myself to producing new content at all times. On the other hand, I'm not sure if this notion appeals to my current readers.

Any input is welcome, both as blog authors and readers. I've been beating the question about in my skull and just can't decide on what would be the best course of action. Thank you for any advice you might offer.

- RB

14 comments:

  1. I would say do whatever feels like the most authentic you. It is your blog and your content so it should reflect what makes you, you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Echoing Anne. Your blog. Your rules. Do whatever is best for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Robert - I'd agree ... it's your uniqueness that draws us in ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's your blog, but I admit, variety is good sometimes. That's why I sport so many topics in my posts - guarantees there is something there for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do what you enjoy or blogging will become a chore. I tailored mine so I can go on about anything, keeps people coming back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well it is your blog and therefore your rules. You do what works for you. I've changed my blog a great deal over time, but it's because I wanted to, not because someone else wanted me to.

    Have a fabulous day. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with the others. You post, we show up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you should post what you want when you want. If people like it they will show up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you should make the blog what you want to make it and not what you think it "should" become. I think you always play catch-up (how it feels) when you do that. Ask me how I know. :) I have been so much happier just posting what I want to post and letting others decide if they want to read it or not. Yes, I've been disappointed in creating things that people don't seem as interesting in but it still keeps me going and evolving. :) You can always talk to people about SEOs and other ways of advertising your blog if you want to reach a wider audience.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been in a similar situation before, but ultimately didn't heed the advice given to me. (Some of the changes they wanted I found unappealing; others would've been downright impossible to implement.) Since this is your blog, I think you should post whatever is most enjoyable and convenient for you! Every reader is different, so there's no guarantee that changing your blogging style would even lead to a wider audience. It's best to just post in a way that comes naturally to you, and to only make changes that you genuinely want. It may take a while, but like-minded readers will inevitably follow!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What's the easiest thing for you to do? What is the most fun thing for you to do? That's the first thing you should consider.

    Don't worry so much about producing content. Keep in mind that things like the Xenophobia story may find new readers as the thing continues, so taking a pause now and again gives them time to catch up to the new chapters. Perhaps a couple different alternating stories.

    Take some time and think on it. What feels right to you? That's the way you should go.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with Pat. Post what makes you feel good or it will feel more like a chore than something that should make you happy. I post for me. If people read it and keep coming back, great. If not, that's fine too. I won't change to suit what others think my blog should be because once it feels more like a job, I'm out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know what you mean, and everyone's approach varies. I try to make meaningful connections over numbers, but I find that the more/better content I post, the more traffic any site will get:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. As long as you're having fun, we'll be having fun. That's usually how it goes, and all that truly matters. With that said, that's why we draw idiotic comics rather than post our writing, because we know what draws people in. That might sound sad, but it's not. People love our comics and seek out our writing as a result, so it's not a lost cause just in the name of clicks.

    ReplyDelete