Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Pencil Shavings - A Little Crow


Hello Lovelies,

Today is a little different than normal and is a bit on the light side. As you know, while I'm dedicate to my writing, I'm about as ADD as they come when it comes to creative projects and often get sidelined by small items that grab my attention. One of those, recently has been due to the fabulous work by MagicLoveCrow. If you're not familiar with her work, she does some pretty fabulous painted pieces and I'd really encourage you to take a moment and check her out.

With that said, I was inspired by MagicLoveCrow and her work and decided that I wanted to play around with the idea myself. While I'm about as artistically talented as a small child, my wife is actually an illustrationist who spends most of her waking time drawing (don't tell her, but I'm a huge fan of her bone works, Sherlock Bones in particular). That said, she helped me a little bit by encouraging me to walk before I run, I.E. try to sketch something before I try to paint something. Additionally, I got myself a set of fancy-fun pencils that go from light to dark? Didn't know that was a thing.

And standing before you is the product of my first try. I call him...well, he's a fucking Crow. What the hell else would he be called?

Overall I found the process fun and enjoyable and I'm definitely going to be doing more as time rolls on. I was a little dissatisfied because of the coloring, but unfortunately crows are stonking black and I kind of made do with the fact I was using pencils. I definitely intend to try my hand at painting some sometime in the future, but we'll see when that happens.

I hope you guys enjoyed this little glimpse. I promise that more Little Island Tales are coming here in the next couple days (Thursday, if I'm not a horrible monster unable to meet my deadlines). In the mean time, I'd encourage you to check out MagicLoveCrow's blog and see her much more talented works that inspired my own. Same goes for Fabulosaurus who doesn't have a blogspot but definitely has an instagram and a few other places you can see her wonderful artwork.

Here's hoping you all have a wonderful rest of your day.

- RB

16 comments:

  1. Hi Robert - I can't draw for toffee ... so congratulations on your Crow -he's pretty good ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a lovely crow with lots of personality.....here's another pencil crayon you might not know exists...watercolour pencils. Try them, you'll like them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice crow. I am a doodler by nature so I like pencil sketches. Now I am off to visit magic love crow.
    Oh and I can't wait for the next installment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've got the shape down pat! Yes, next step is colored pencils.
    Magic Love Crow is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am impressed. And totally unable to draw. Love the corvid family. Intelligent, family minded birds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Robert, your little crow is a Prince! He's brilliant!!! Personally, I think you are very artistic! I seriously mean that! I have to check out your wife's work! Thank you for the shout out! Keep on drawing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your wife is so talented!!! Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  8. all trout towne burd jokes aside, fucking crow is pretty awesome !!!!!!! ☺☺☺ will head over to the blogs mentioned !! ☺♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great for a first attempt. And yeah, I think sketching before painting is probably wise.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh, love the crow. So cute! And I'm amazed this is only your first attempt. Animals are one of my weaknesses as an artist, so I'd have to practice a lot before I could draw a crow this well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice! I can't draw at all but hubby and our daughter can.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, if that's your start, I'd love to see what you do after a bit of practice. Much better than I could ever do!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, that is a fabulous drawing. I'm so pleased you shared it here.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this sketch. You have a very talented wife! :-)

    Greetings from London.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Replies
    1. Oh, and thank you for sharing the work of both these talented ladies! Neat stuff.

      Delete