Monday, February 20, 2017

Planning for the Tour


Hello Lovelies,

With the end of the public chapter releases for Xenophobia, I want to start thinking towards the future. Whether it be six months or a year down the line, my thought process is now on a) finishing Xenophobia and its respective editing and rewrite; and b) planning how to release and sell the story.

I've done a number of other smaller short stories that have been released simply through the Kindle online store. However, I realize that this one definitely deserves more love than a few random tales (call it maturing as an author from scribbler to writer).

What I'd like instead is to go through the appropriate channels to garner viewership and readers. I've obviously already been getting feedback here and there from readers, but now I want eyes in a different way. Obviously I can do things like paid-for marketing, but I feel there's a much better opportunity through being able to speak to people who care about books and their content. Things like interviews and blog tours in the blogspot writer's community immediately come to mind.

With that said, I wanted to know if any of you have ever done something along that line. Have any of you ever done a blog tour? Or an interview? Or maybe something else that I'm not thinking of? For those that have, did you find them particularly useful or rewarding?

Right now I'm just trying to build a gameplan and I would love to hear your opinion and experiences, particularly from established writers (that's not to say I don't want to hear from our lovely serial readers as well!) Thank you, Lovelies~

- RB

9 comments:

  1. Yes, I've done a blog tour for all four of my books. Set them up myself. My publisher helped with giveaways and such. Usually I set everything up about two months in advance, more if necessary. Be happy to fill you in more. Email me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I've done them before. As long as you set them up well beforehand they aren't a ton of work, can't hurt either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Robert - there's quite a few bloggers who've done tours for their books ... and looks like Alex has offered his help - probably couldn't get better ... but search our commenters to find others ... good luck- cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in charge of book tours over at Unicorn Bell. So, I've posted a few. I don't know how helpful they've been to the author, but from the blogger perspective, I'd say (1) make sure to get dates lined up ahead of time, (2) get your media kit ready as you can just include that with every tour stop, and (3) make sure to give yourself enough time to meet deadlines (as bloggers will have when they want things by to make sure your post goes live at the right time).

    ReplyDelete
  5. We're big fans of interviews, especially if they're really interesting. We also do contests from time to time. Make it as interesting as possible, maybe make the prize related to our work (win a free, signed book!), something like that. It goes a long way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not a writer, but wishing you the best of luck getting everything lined up. Looks like you have some awesome commenters who have been through the ropes before that are willing to help you get started on the right foot :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've done blog tours and am still on tour for my first novel. If you have any specifics you're curious about, ping me at marknoce.com :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haven't done a blog tour myself, but that route definitely seems to be popular with writers. (And the fact that it is popular makes me think it's good enough at gaining readers for people to want to keep doing 'em!) Best of luck putting together a game plan that'll work well for you and your work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've done blog tours (on the bloggy side of it) and those can be fun. I don't often do author interviews but I do enjoy reading them. I would suggest to go through a company that does blog tours if you want to do it. The authors I've talked to think it helps free up a lot of work and they usually have a set amount of bloggers and readers. Will have to read the rest of what you wrote soon! Will set some time to catch up. :)

    ReplyDelete