Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Library in the Dark idea



    So, I’ve been thinking about a little project. I would argue it’s a weird cross between the mystery the idea of LootCrate, Gamefly, and “Blind Date with a Book”. The name behind it (at the moment) is “Library in the Dark”.

     The basic idea would be some sort of a subscription fee (let’s just say monthly $15 books or something) and you choose the genre. In turn, you would receive an unknown book of that respective genre monthly until you either stop or decide you want a different genre. (I’ve thought about doing a multiple genre kind of subscription, but I’m not sure how the prices would really work yet…maybe 1 for $15, 2 for $25, etc. kinda business.)
  
     Last but not least, and here’s where my brain is really buzzing, I’m not sure if it should be Lootcrate or Gamefly, in that you should be able to keep the book forever and just keep getting more stuff OR to be able to keep the book if you want it for an additional fee and return it in exchange for something else if you don’t want to keep it.

     What do you guys think? I feel like some people would really like this idea, but I’m not sure where to take it. Input would be greatly appreciated.

6 comments:

  1. I only do eBooks now. Not sure as many people would want print books as in the past. That might be something to try local first and see how it goes. Would the books be hardback then?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting.
    My unread towers are already humungous so I wouldn't be playing.
    Are we talking e-books or hard copies. If the former for $15 a month I would expect to be able to keep the book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A neat idea, but with ebooks it may no be as successful as it once could have been.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The additional fee to keep the book, plus the effort it would take to return it should you not want to, would deter a lot of people, I think. The keep-it-forever option sounds a lot less complicated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like an interesting idea and a great way to get exposed to new books. I would want to pay the money and be able to keep the book- that way I wouldn't have another fees or work to do. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Robert,

    An intriguing concept. However, as stated in some of the above comments, it might not be viable in this ebook age.

    All the best and good luck.

    Gary

    ReplyDelete